Carolina Theatre of Durham
309 West Morgan Street
Durham, NC 27701
The last remaining of thirteen vaudeville-era theaters in downtown Durham, the Carolina Theatre was built in 1926 in the Beaux-Arts style. At the heart of what is now a complex of two cinemas and an auditorium is Fletcher Hall, the original structure, which has a capacity of 1,048 seats; its decor was restored to its original glory in 2011. Duke Performances hosts jazz, international music, and indie rock in this accessible venue.
- FROM CHAPEL HILL VIA HWY 15-501
- When highway divides near South Square Mall, take Hwy 15-501 Bypass North/Duke University.
- Follow for approximately 4 miles to I-85 North.
- Continue on I-85 North for approximately 3 miles.
- Take “Durham Downtown” Exit 177-A. Follow directions for I-85 below.
- FROM RALEIGH, CARY AND POINTS EAST
- Take Durham Freeway exit (Hwy. 147 North) for approximately 5 miles.
- Take exit 12B (Roxboro St./Mangum St.)
- Turn Right at first traffic light onto Roxboro St., following signs for Downtown.
- Continue until you pass under a bridge, pass through a stoplight & merge left.
- Continue to the left on Morgan Street. The Carolina will be on the left.
- FROM GREENSBORO, BURLINGTON AND POINTS WEST
- From I-40 East, merge on to I-85 North.
- Take Exit 172 and merge onto the Durham Freeway (Hwy. 147 South) for 4.5 miles.
- Take exit 13 for Chapel Hill St and turn left at the traffic light.
- In half a mile, take a left on Foster Street.
- Make a quick left onto Morgan St. The Theatre will be on your left.
- FROM POINTS NORTH VIA I-85
- Hwy. 70: Take “Durham Downtown” Exit 177A
- Follow Hwy. 15-501 Business South (Mangum St.) for approximately 1 mile.
- Turn Right onto Morgan St. Carolina Theatre is 3 blocks on the left, across from the parking garage.
- Take advantage of the convenient, Durham Civic Centre parking garage on Morgan St. across from The Carolina Theatre. The city charges a nominal fee to park in this garage. Please be prepared to present exact change.
- Additional parking is available at the Chapel Hill Street garage located at 326 East Chapel Hill Street, directly in front of the post office, and at the Corcoran Street garage located at 101 East Corcoran Street. On-street parking is also available.