Tift Merritt & Simone Dinnerstein
DUKE PERFORMANCES PREMIERE: FRI, JAN 21 & SAT, JAN 22, 2011
In this two-night world premiere commissioned by Duke Performances, an “angelic,” NC-born country-folk heavyweight (Spin) and a classical pianist of “mathematical exactitude” and “passion” (Washington Post) unite in a new program made possible by Duke’s relationship with both artists. Tift Merritt sings with “a magical combination of cool reserve and effortless warmth” (Entertainment Weekly); Simone Dinnerstein’s playing is “beautiful, sensitive, intelligent, and manifestly sincere” (Piano).
Night is where they meet: an evening of songs from across genres, performed by both women on January 21 & 22, 2011 at Reynolds Industries Theater. Duke Performances commissioned new songs for the project by Merritt, pianist Brad Mehldau, and singer Patty Griffin; the collaboration also features material from Schubert, Bach, Billie Holiday, and Leonard Cohen. In March 2013, Merritt and Dinnerstein released Night as an album on Sony Classical to critical acclaim. They returned to Duke Performances the following month for a two-set album release celebration at First Presbyterian Church in downtown Durham.
- Duke Today, Merritt, Dinnerstein to Perform Jan. 21-22
- INDY Week, Simone Dinnerstein & Tift Merritt’s Night
- NPR, First Listen: Simone Dinnerstein & Tift Merritt, ‘Night’
- CBS News, Simone Dinnerstein and Tift Merritt: Two musical worlds connect as one
- PopMatters, Tift Merritt and Simone Dinnerstein: Night
- Classical MPR, Not So Different After All: Tift Merritt and Simone Dinnerstein blend genres in ‘Night’